Hieroglyphic NumbersThe Egyptians had a decimal system using seven different symbols.
- 1 is shown by a single stroke.
- 10 is shown by a drawing of a hobble for cattle.
- 100 is represented by a coil of rope.
- 1,000 a drawing of a lotus plant.
- 10,000 is represented by a finger.
- 100,000 a tadpole or frog
- 1,000,000 figure of a god with arms raised above his head.
Writing numbers is quite simple; the higher number is always written in front of the lower number and where there is more than one row of numbers the reader should start at the top.